A message from our CEO, Michael McCain
At Maple Leaf, we aspire to be the most sustainable meat company on Earth.
Michael H. McCain
President and Chief Executive Officer, Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- is NUTRITIOUS, HEALTHY and SAFE.
- is ACCESSIBLE, AFFORDABLE and eaten in MODERATION, in BALANCE with other nutrients, consistent with nutritional guidelines.
- is produced adhering to ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS that measurably REDUCE IMPACTS across the lifecycle, LIMITING greenhouse gas EMISSIONS and IMPACTS on WATER quality and quantity, avoiding loss of biodiversity and ELIMINATING WASTE.
- comes from animals that are RAISED WITH CARE, with MINIMAL use of ANTIBIOTICS, and to standards that RESPECT the Five Freedoms of ANIMAL WELFARE.
- is produced through a RESILIENT, FAIR and EFFICIENT food system that makes OPTIMAL USE of LAND and NATURAL RESOURCES.
- is produced by a company that is RESPONSIVE to the needs of society and transparently demonstrates our ACCOUNTABILITY to SOCIAL and ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY.
Standards of practice
Maple Leaf Foods produces approximately 40% of the pork that we process, with the balance largely coming from contractual producers.read more
Auditing and corrective actions
A well-defined, rigorous and highly visible internal and independent auditing program is essential to ensure ongoing compliance and corrective actions…read more
Antibiotic use in raising hogs
Our society is becoming increasingly concerned about the use of antibiotics in animal production.read more
Creating shared value
The meat industry plays an enormous role in nourishing billions of people, but also has significant, adverse impacts on the…read more
Advancing nutrition and health
Our society is becoming increasingly concerned about the use of antibiotics in animal production, with alternative drug choices for the…read more
Animal care commitment
Our goal is to be a leader in animal care by following the strong values that deeply define our culture…read more
We have an aggressive goal to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.read more
Animal care is one of our four priorities in our efforts to become a sustainable company.read more
Education and training
Education and training is foundational to knowledge, empowerment, accountability and a strong animal care culture.read more